Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What Writers (might) REALLY Want for Christmas

It's that time of year again. Everyone in your life suddenly has an agenda, and they typically express it in one of two ways:

1. Blatantly. These are the people who pester you with questions for the twenty-four days prior to Christmas morning. "Whaddya want?" "What can you use?" "Do you like marshmallows?"

2. Covertly. These are the people in your life who suddenly resemble stalkers and/or zombies. They're constantly looking at you sideways, trying to read your mind and/or decide where to shoot you with a tranquilizer gun.

Anyway, in recognition of the season, I've complied a list of things that I think writers may actually enjoy. Notice that there are no fancy shmancy notebooks on this list. In my experience, these very lovely notebooks are never used because, well, they're just a little bit too lovely. And intimidating. My writing will never match the two-tone Italian-lambskin-leather and hand stitched pages...

Some Things Writers (might) REALLY Want for Christmas:

1. To be published. I know, this one is kind of impossible to fulfill, but there you have it.
2. Time to write.
3. Time to eat good food and to spend with friends and family.
4. A USB typewriter!
5. Something good to read...
6. Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Also,  a "writer" coffee mug like this one.
7. The next season of Doctor Who on DVD (and also, a sonic screwdriver). No, I'm serious, this is a universal for writers, not just my own preference!
8. A Great Writers Finger Puppet Set. (Yes, I did pass the first grade).
9. Sticky Notes. Like these, for example...
10. Cookies! (You thought I was going to say "pie," didn't you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment