Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book Art

I have a problem. Well, more of an antsy-pants observation, I guess...
It always cheers me to see and/or hear about people of any age who are head-over-heels book lovers. Voracious readers are, as Ann of Green Gables would say, my kindred spirits. But I'm getting a little bit disturbed by an artsy, kitschy trend...because I think that valuing books merely for their aesthetics (literally pages and cover) is a little bit insulting to good writing and writers everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love my books and the color they add to every room in my house. But I don't want to turn them into this:



Okay, well, maybe that last one is cool. And I could even condone using some books (like high school dictionaries--they don't have any of the good words) to make art out of. But I think this can go a little bit too far, really really fast.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment