Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lemon Bars and Writing

I am making Lemon Bars. Glorious, if slightly too rich, little pieces of lemony-pastry heaven. I know, this may seem like an odd introductory sentence to find on a mystery writer's blog. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Even mystery writers have to eat. Some of them even like it.

I do have some kind of idea where I'm going with my Lemon Bar introduction. In fact, I'll head that way now.

Once upon a time, there were no such things as Lemon Bars. It was a sad, sad world--nobody could imagine those tart, mouth-puckering little fruits as the essential element to what may be the world's best dessert. Nobody. Until, one day, somebody dared to create the unthinkable--a glorious, delicious dessert that incorporates the tang of lemon with the smooth taste of sugar, butter, and pastry.

That person went against the rules. There was no self-doubting, no breakdown of the chef telling himself that this idea was not worth pursuing. Just glorious creation, and it CHANGED LIVES AROUND THE WORLD FOREVER.

At this point, two things should be apparent to you: 1, I love Lemon Bars, and 2, There is NOTHING that cannot be written about.

In the words of poet Sylvia Plath, "And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."

Yep, that's about all I have to say for the day. I'm gonna go eat a Lemon Bar now...

No comments:

Post a Comment