Saturday, July 3, 2010

Motivation


How do you keep going when the inspiration leaves?

The above question is very important because, let's face it, you're not much of a writer if you just quit every time muse takes off running. All that would do is create piles of unfinished stories--fabulous beginnings, well intentioned middles. Nothings. Failures. All of those poor little guys would need psychiatric treatment.

A great way to motivate is finding dedicated readers for your story. People who will read and give you feedback at early, middle, and semi-complete stages.

I assume another great way to motivate is to contract a publishing deadline. Sign the contract. Get an agent to represent it. I, however, am not at that stage yet, so we'll move on...

I get very motivated when I look at new books. Books I could have written. Books I could have published. Debuting authors motivate me very very well--I find my mixture of momentary jealousy and subsequent confidence extremely inspiring.

P.S. : this post is a stand in for tomorrow's scheduled post because I will be celebrating my freedom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment