Monday, July 13, 2009

The Plot Thickens

A recent series of guest blogs over at Agent Nathan Bransford's Blog has left me thinking about craft. Added to this initial kickstart, I've been browsing through Tony Hillerman's book TALKING MYSTERIES. The combination has resulted in something I like to call Plotting Gravy. Actually, I just made that up--and I don't like it all that much either.

All that to say, in thinking of my WIP, I've come to the understanding that the plot should be thickening at all times, kind of like a good gravy. If it isn't thickening, it just won't hold up under pressure. It will sag in the middle, it will leave you disappointed at the end.

Having come to this earth shattering conclusion, I decided I needed to do everything I could to thicken my plot in a successful manner. the logical question--at least to me--is: What can be done to create a stellar plot? How do I achieve that finely crafted story many writers dream of?

So, I've been compiling ideas and information--some original, some from published authors--about plot. Over the next few days, I will be posting on each idea I've come across, as well as different ways of applying the ideas, and pros and cons that I think are associated with the ideas.

In the mean time, I'd like to hear from y'all:

How do you go about structuring the overall plot of your books?

No comments:

Post a Comment